October 7, 2013
Halloween Terrifying CupcakesHalloween
Prep. time: 00:40
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) plain flour
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black ready-made icing
- Silver cachous (optional), to decorate
- 480g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- A few drops of orange food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line 10 holes of a muffin pan with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a spatula to fold into dry ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cases. Bake for 25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, beat the sugar, butter and milk in a processor or electric mixer until soft. Add the food colouring a few drops at a time until you reach the desired colour.
- Roll out black icing on a sheet of baking paper and use a small cutter to make decorative shapes (we used a cat, and pressed in cachous to make eyes).
- Spread orange icing over cakes, then decorate with icing shapes.